Month: July 2016

Missing: Victoria police seeks help in locating woman

Victoria, B.C. Victoria police send out urgent call to find missing 8-month pregnant woman Officers say Magdalena Botea is at immediate risk of harm CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2016 6:15 PM PT Last Updated: Jul 30, 2016 6:15 PM PT Victoria police say Magdalena Botea is at immediate risk of harm after going missing on Saturday, July 30, 2016. Victoria police say Magdalena Botea is at immediate risk of harm after going missing on Saturday, July 30, 2016. (Victoria Police Department) Victoria police say an 8-month pregnant woman is at, “immediate risk of harm,’ after going missing in the 1900-block of Bay Street in the Royal Jubilee Hospital area around 1 p.m. Saturday. Police describe Botea as: Asian. Five foot two inches tall (157 cm). Has dark brown hair and brown eyes. Was last seen wearing dark pants. A shirt with a white and patterned top. “Magdalena’s family and our officers are deeply concerned for her health and believe her to be at immediate risk of harm. If you see Magdalena Botea you are asked to call 911,” said Victoria police in its release. URGENT MISSING – Have you seen Magdalena Botea? She is 8 months pregnant at at risk to immediate harm. https://t.co/xap81F4Nro #yyj —...

Read More

Communists calls AFP bluff in ceasefire

In a statement issued today (July 30, 2016), the New People’s Army clarified why it did not ‘abide’ by the unilateral ceasefire issued by President Rodrigo Duterte on July 25. [Bisaya »] The New People’s Army Regional Operations Command avers that there is no conspicuous and veritable unilateral ceasefire exercised by AFP, PNP and paramilitary troops in Southern Mindanao, five days after its Commander In Chief, GRP Pres. Rodrigo Duterte proclaimed such an order in his State of the Nation Address on July 25. While the NPA-SMROC is ready, willing and able to reciprocate the unilateral ceasefire in accordance to the parameters, guidelines and rules to be set by the national leadership of the NPA, CPP, and NDFP, it cannot be harangued to reciprocate a unilateral ceasefire order that is overtly mocked by the AFP hierarchy and its ground troops and paramilitary forces. Pending its own unilateral ceasefire declaration, the NPA has placed its troops on active defense mode as a welcome gesture to GRP Pres. Duterte’s unilateral ceasefire declaration. But it cannot surrender its military initiative and diminish the authority of the People’s Democratic Government by placing in jeopardy the lives of the Red Army and the civilian masses in the face of relentless attacks by the fascist enemies of the people. The NPA and the people’s militia are ready to defend itself from enemy troops who are...

Read More

Breaking: Terrorists kill Catholic priest in France

An 84-year-old priest was killed and four other people taken hostage by two armed men who stormed his church in a suburb of Rouen in northern France, the BBC reported. According to the BBC report, the two attackers, who said they were from the so-called Islamic State (IS), slit Fr Jacques Hamel’s throat during a morning Mass. Police later surrounded the church, in St-Etienne-du-Rouvray, and shot dead both hostage-takers. One of the hostages is in a critical condition in hospital. President Francois Hollande, visiting the scene, said the attackers had committed a “cowardly assassination” and France would fight IS “by all means”. Pope Francis decried the “pain and horror of this absurd violence”. One attacker is reported to have been known to French police, and had tried to enter Syria last year. Police special forces raided a house in Saint-Etienne-du-Rovray in the aftermath of the attack, and French prosecutors earlier said one person had been arrested. The attack happened during morning Mass at the historic church, situated in a quiet square of St-Etienne-du-Rouvray. One nun who witnessed the attack, told BFM TV that the men forced Fr Hamel to his knees and recorded the killing, speaking Arabic as they did so. She says she fled as they were preparing to kill him. Elite police units, specialised in hostage-taking, surrounded the church. President Hollande said the attackers claimed to be...

Read More

Winnipeg Multicultural Human Rights Forum honours one of its own

Winnipeg, Manitoba Tewodros Kassahun first Star of a Generation awardee Levy Abad The Winnipeg Multicultural Human Rights Forum (WMHRF), a grassroots human rights organization based in Winnipeg, successfully presented its first Star of a Generation award to internationally acclaimed  singer-songwriter Tewodros Kassahun, more popularly known as ‘Teddy Afro’ in the Ethiopian and international music scene. WMHRF conferred the award to Teddy Afro for his invaluable contribution in promoting peace, love, unity and anti-hatred through his music. He released several albums including Yasteseryal in 2005 and Tikur Sew in 2012. Teddy had his concert with the Abugida Band on July 16, 2016 at 1770 King Edward Street. Bro. Ali Saeed, one of the founding members of WMHRF nominated Teddy Afro to the committee, which unanimously approved the nomination. A press release was made earlier where it was announced that the awarding will be held on July 13, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at the X-Cuse Billiards and Café (551 Sargent Avenue). About 80 people attended the ceremony at the X-Cuse Billiards and Cafe and the event ran smoothly with Johsa Manzanilla acting as host for the night. Johsa also rendered a soulful rendition of the song “I could have said” as a tribute to Brother Teddy Afro as a peace activist. After Johsa, I also performed a song titled “Light a Candle for Peace” to pay homage to all activists who...

Read More

Senator Enverga wins defamation suit against Balita

  Toronto, Ontario “This is a victory for the community,” says Senator Balita will appeal By Ted Alcuitas The long simmering dispute between Senator Tobias Enverga, Jr. and Balita’s publisher Tess Cusipag ended July 13 with a judgement against the newspaper and its publisher. Balita is appealing the decision,according to the following Facebook message received by Philippine Canadian News.com from Tess Cusipag of Balita Media Inc.on July 23, 2016. “ENVERGA CASE – I lost on a technicality because the guy who wrote the story had a stroke weeks after receiving the Enverga lawsuit and eventually died and his contact, Mama Ching is also dead so Enverga made the move, filed a motion to pin it on me without a trial. I thought he would stop right there because of Carlos death, but we were caught unprepared. We found another credible witness Willie Cantos but was not allowed by the court because it passed the exam for discovery and then Balita and me were given permanent injunction not to talk about the $6000, KCCC AND THEIR PCCF NOT BEING A CHARITABLE FOUNDATION at all. Lawyers are working on our appeal.” Cusipag refused to comment when contacted by the Toronto-based Philippine Reporter. But while the case has been decided, Balita is still facing another $2.5 million libel case filed against them by KOL Foundation in 2013. Balita was founded by the late...

Read More

Archives

Get the latest from PCN

Enter your email address to receive news in your email inbox

Delivered by FeedBurner