Paolo Duterte during appearance at Senate investigation into alleged shabu shipment

Photo: PhilStar

Rappler
December 25, 2017
DAVAO CITY, Philippines (UPDATED) – Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte has resigned.

He made the announcement during a special session of the city council, which he was supposed to preside on Christmas Day.

 “My parents never failed to remind me of the value of kind-honored principle of delicadeza, and this is one of those instances of my life,” he said.

Duterte, who was trying to keep his composure, said, “I take responsibility for what has happened.”

Among the incidents that triggered his decision, he said, was the the smuggling of P6.4-billion worth of shabu from China through the Bureau of Customs, where his name was dragged, and, just last week, his “very public squabble with my daughter” from his first marriage.

He thanked the council and said, “I look forward to the day that I will be able to serve heartkindly again.”

The city council met on Monday, a holiday, to discuss the proposal of Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio’s request to release the remaining calamity funds for the year to help victims of disasters.

On Friday, thousands of residents were affected by floods brought about by Tropical Storm Vinta (Tembin). On Saturday, fire hit a local mall, where 37 call center workers are believed to have been killed. – Mick Basa/Rappler.com

This is a developing story. Refresh for updates.