Breaking: Canadian shot dead in Batangas City

Barry Gamon planned to relocate to British Columbia after living in the Philippines since 2008. (CBC)

Batangas, Philippines

A 66-year-old Canadian was killed while his wife was hurt after they were shot by two unidentified suspects Sunday night in Batangas City, media reports say.

Police Senior Inspector Hazel Luma-ang Suarez, information officer of the Batangas Police Provincial Office, identified the fatality as Barry Gamon, a resident of Barangay Tingga Itaas, Batangas City.

Barry Gammon, 66, formerly of Montreal, was planning to relocate to B.C. with his Filipina wife, 45 -year-old Luzviminda and son, according to a CBC report.

The victims were immediately brought to St. Camillus de Lellia Hospital but Barry was declared dead on arrival. Luzviminda, meanwhile, escaped unscathed.

Responding operatives recovered four live ammunition, three fired cartridge cases and two fired bullets.

The Batangas Police Provincial Office formed Special Investigation Task Group Barry Gamon to further their investigation and to ascertain the motive behind the killing.

Police say the killing appears to have been a property dispute.

Suspect identified

“The suspect might have been commissioned … as someone to kill for a contract that had been made on Barry Gammon,” said Supt. Sancho Celedio, Batangas City chief of police.

Reached by phone by the CBC, Celedio said, “Apparently Barry Gammon had altercations with certain personalities in his block regarding a possible dispute about right of ways.”

He said a suspect with a criminal record has been identified.

“We’ve already filed charges against the suspect. And we’re now waiting for the warrant of the arrest to be issued,” Celedio said.

“Until [then], we would rather that we are silent about [his] identity, so that precludes any attempt for him to go out of the area, or it will be a challenge for us.”

Montreal-born Gammon had lived in the Philippines since 2008. (Gammon family photo)

Batangas police say around 7 on the evening of the attack, two men rode up to the gate of the Gammon home on a motorbike.

Barry Gammon went to investigate, and one man pulled a gun and opened fire.

As Gammon staggered back into his yard, the gunman followed and continued to shoot.

According to Philippine media reports, Gammon was struck multiple times and was rushed to a local hospital, but was dead upon arrival.

Planned to return to Canada

A close family associate who does not want to be identified for safety reasons says Gammon lived in the Philippines since 2008, after spending much of his life living in the U.S.

Due to rising tensions in the neighbourhood, the family had planned to leave the Philippines as soon as possible and relocate to Kelowna in the B.C. Okanagan.

Real estate listings show the family had just put their home up for sale.

‘Deepest condolences’: Global Affairs Canada

In response to queries from CBC News regarding Gammon’s murder, the Canadian government confirms it’s aware of the case.

“Global Affairs Canada offers its deepest condolences to the family and friends of the Canadian citizen who was murdered in the Philippines,” writes media spokesperson Krista Humick. “Consular officials are providing consular assistance to the family during this difficult time. Due to the provisions of the Privacy Act, no further information can be disclosed.”

Supt. Celedio said the killing leaves him “very concerned.”


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top