This cartoon was allegedly removed by Facebook in the Philippines. Paul Eric Roca does not know who reported his cartoon to Facebook, according to a FB post by the artist yesterday.
First update: June 1, 2020, 12:40 PM
From the lawyers of the George Floyd family in a press conference today:
- George Floyd was already dead before the ambulance arrived due to the chock hold on his neck and two other officers kneeling on his back preventing air to his lungs. He died of asphyxiation. This was determined by an independent autopsy and is in contrast to the report by state authorities that there was a “pulse”.
- The ambulance was a “hearse” – a funeral car.
- His death was an “execution” in plain view of the public.
- Accuses the Minneapolis Police Dept. of failing to implement changes to training, etc.
- Will present an eye witness tomorrow.
From the Philippines’ editorial cartoonist for Manila Bulletin, Paul Eric Roca, comes this graphic but simple image of the killing of a young black man, George Floyd on May 25, 2020. Floyd, 46, was pinned down on the neck for more than 8 minutes while he lay on the ground handcuffed and not resisting by a Minneapolis policeman , Derek Chauvin, now charged with murder.
Not seen here are two other police officers putting weight on Mr. Floyd’s back, according to lawyers.
He was arrested for allegedly passing a bad check. All four officers involved in the arrest were fired after a backlash from the Black community. Riots have erupted in 15 cities and throughout the U.S. as the fallout of the killing continues. Meanwhile, U.S. President Donal Trump has been criticized for inciting violence in a tweet : “…when the looting starts,the shooting starts.”
As we write this , America is burning and POTUS is playing the fiddle!
I won’t interpret the cartoon for now and let readers see how they feel about it…
-Teodoro ‘Ted’ Alcuitas
Editor, Philippine Canadian News.Com